In 2009, I started my journey as a hairstylist by enrolling at The Salon Professional Academy (now known at The Summit Salon Academy) and it was the best decision I've ever made. I can't believe I've been behind the chair for almost 8 years! I am so grateful to be a part of this incredible industry, and looking back on everything I've learned over the past (almost) decade, there are 5 main reasons why I LOVE being a hairstylist! (In no particular order)
1. Artistry. Obviously, this is an artistic career. I have always enjoyed creating art, and I am lucky to have found a job that allows me to do that. Being able to create art and use my creativity to help someone else express themselves is one of the best parts of my job.
2. Opportunities. There are limitless opportunities within this career. You can travel the world, work for a brand, like Redken, you can be an educator, or even become a salon owner! You can be flexible with your time and have the unique opportunity to make as much money as you'd like to. As long as it grows, I can cut it, and that opens so many doors for me. I'll always be able to use my craft, no matter where I am. Not only is that job security, but it's also FREEDOM!
3. Constant Inspiration. Because this is a industry involving people, it's an industry that is always evolving, changing, growing. I am at my most inspired when I am attending a class or event, learning about new products or techniques. There is never time to become bored or stagnant, because there is always something new to learn or try!
4. Be Your Own Boss. I never thought I would ever be a salon owner. Seriously, even a year ago, if you would have told me I would be 25, have my own studio salon, and would be successful, I would have said you were crazy. But hey, crazier things have happened, right? And nothing is impossible! I am so thankful to have been able to create my own brand, my Good Hair Vibes, and that I have all of this incredible support from my friends, family and amazing guests.
5. People. Which brings me to the most important reason why I love being a hairstylist: The people. MY people. The relationships I have with my guests fill a special place in my heart. Each one unique and beautiful. The connections I've been able to form with these amazing humans over the years are the most important part of what I do. I've watched relationships evolve from first dates to having their first child. I've seen the shy, young pre-teens grow into stunning, confident young adults. I've been a safe place to cry when you're experiencing heartache, I've shared tears of laughter, I've even done a Facebook stalk or two when your boyfriend actin' up. All of these moments, these are the reasons why I love what I do.